A bed frame and headboard always seemed like an expensive luxury but I figured I could build one for a moderate cost.
This is the simple rendering I made in SketchUp of how I wanted the bed frame to look like.
A close up of one of the legs. All the joinery was with pockets holes on the Kreg Jig. Not fancy. Plenty strong though.
Screwing and gluing the cleats to the inside of the side rail
The finish is General Finishes Black Cherry Water Based stain on Red Grandis wood. I liked the color but the water based stain was a pain to work with. You need to work really fast to avoid streaking.
The outer part of the frame complete
The center support. Those extra feet in the middle aren’t visible when the bed is in place.
The stained base
The decorative top of the headboard is two pieces of stained Red Grandis sandwiching a piece of Purpleheart.
Gluing up the decorative strip
The back of the headboard (so many pocket holes)
Front of the headboard
Headboard connected to the base. The supports are Poplar.
Two bolts on the inside of each leg to connect the headboard to the base.
The completed bed frame and headboard